Who we are
Frupinsa is a family-run company based in Roquetes (in the province of Tarragona) and its purpose is the shelling of almonds and the chopping of carobs. It has more than 70 years of history and it’s currently run by the third and fourth generations of the Borràs family.
To contribute to the development of Terres de l’Ebre, monetising the work of the farmers in the area and transforming their agricultural yields into products suitable for consumption in an efficient and sustainable manner.
To remain the benchmark company for the farmers in the area and increase the relevance of the company in the domestic and international markets, with high-quality products and a willingness to adapt to the customer’s needs.
We have been at the forefront of the sector for four generations as a result of our firm values. We offer our customers and suppliers a friendly and personalised service while displaying integrity and thoroughness. We adapt to their needs by offering products of the highest quality that are available all the year round, in search of relationships based on trust and loyalty.
We currently have two industrial complexes:
Committed to our farmers
Every year we hold technology transfer seminars for producers, with pruning and handling courses conducted by technical experts from Crisolar, in addition to offering them a technical advisory service to maximise the yields of their crops.
Services for farmers
At Frupinsa we work side by side with the farmers, as they provide the source of our products and the quality and purity of the latter begins with them. We therefore provide a technical advisory service for their crops and we manage the agricultural subsidies for them.
We also provide a peeling and drying service for the almonds after they have been harvested and the option of depositing the products at our facilities for up to two years.
Frupinsa and the environment
Our company has great environmental awareness, as a result of which we apply strict recycling and reuse measures. At Frupinsa we generate biomass as a product in the industrial shelling process. We use it to generate the energy required for our processes and then recover it at our almond shell processing plant for domestic consumption.
On the roofs of the warehouses on the Catalunya Sud industrial estate there is a plant for generating photovoltaic electricity which we inject into the network, and all the farms we currently run are sustainably irrigated by means of solar pumping, in other words, we use solar panels to generate the energy required for their irrigation.
Throughout our history we have constantly invested to maintain our competitiveness within the agri-food sector, to comply with our high food quality standards and to achieve a final product free of any kinds of impurities. To do so we use machinery with the latest technology and a team of engineers and farmers experienced in the development of new cultivation systems, thus merging tradition with innovation.
On the Forcallet de Roquetes farm in Baix Ebre we are currently carrying out an R&D project to promote and improve carob tree cultivation in partnership with Tarragona Provincial Council and the EIG Association. This is a plot of land where we foster carob biodiversity for research into new and more profitable varieties.
Corporate social responsibility
In 2012 Frupinsa established a plan to improve its CSR based on the sustainable management code methodology within the framework of the Sustainable Rural Management project.
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is a consolidated value that has been incorporated into our business culture. Our CSR is based on sustainability, transparency and responsibility applied to the different stakeholders the company is related to, including our workers, customers, suppliers, financial institutions, consultancy firms, the public administration, the environment and society in general.
The practical application of CSR consists of implementing socially responsible measures in each of the vectors into which our business management is divided (economic, environmental and social). We apply CSR in the different areas and carry out the following actions:
- We place value on the natural resources of our territory.
- We contribute to ensuring the continuity of the production of natural products and the maintenance of the farms in our territory.
- The quality of our products and services constitutes a priority strategic goal.
- We promote good business practices and corporate social responsibility via our organisation’s website.
- We constantly invest in innovative machinery to improve the production process and to contribute to increasing the quality control of our products.
- We have identified our environmental impacts.
- We take actions to minimise and reduce them.
- Our aim is to go further than the legislation.
- We apply measures to minimise and reduce water consumption.
- We recycle our waste.
- We reduce the generation of waste.
- We reuse our waste.
- We control the emissions of noise pollution generated by our company’s activity that affect our workers and the environment.
- We control the emissions into the atmosphere generated by our company’s activity.
- We apply measures that help to reduce energy consumption.
- We have invested in the creation and production of a low-cost biomass product suited to all kinds of biomass-fired boilers.
- We have invested in the installation of a photovoltaic power plant.
- We have a manual on good practices in order to raise the awareness of the workers within our organisation.
- We apply policies geared towards equal opportunities.
- We encourage the participation of our organisation’s workers.
- We support the reconciliation of our workers’ personal, family and professional lives.
- With regard to our stakeholders (workers, customers, suppliers, the public administration, environment and society in general):
- We have identified them.
- We apply measures to evaluate their satisfaction.
- We perform follow-up to detect, control and apply actions to remedy potential deviations.
- We attempt to adapt to their new demands and needs.
- We provide an advisory service for the farmers who supply us with agricultural products.
- We have invested in a large warehouse for storing carobs to enable farmers without enough space to store them to do so in perfect maintenance conditions.